8 environment-friendly facts about canned food
Buying canned food is a great option if you want to make simple, nutritious and tasty meals, but did you know that they are also a great environmental choice? One of the best ways to protect the environment is to reduce waste, save energy and preserve the planet’s natural resources.
- All metal cans can be recycled again and again and again… they are 100% recyclable , so you don’t need to worry if you have different types of cans in your recycling bin.
- Recycled cans can be used to make more cans or other metal goods like fridges or cars.
- If your local council doesn’t kerb collect your recycled cans, you will find can banks at all local council sites and in many supermarket car parks.
- Canned food’s long shelf life means you only need cook what you want when you want which reduces food waste.
- Recycling metal cans means less packaging ending up in landfill sites.
- Canned foods are already cooked in the can so you only need to heat them up – this saves both time and energy.
- Canned foods have a long shelf life so can be used straight from the shelf with no need for chilling or freezing which saves more energy – and more money.
- Recycling cans saves energy otherwise used to source virgin materials like iron ore and coke to make more steel cans – it also reduces CO2 emissions. Every steel can recycled saves twice its own weight in CO2.
So what are you waiting for? Stock up on your favourite canned food essentials and feel better about your environment-friendly buying choices.